CALL FOR PAPERS – Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics Area
National Popular Culture Association/American Culture Association Annual Conference
The Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics Area of the Popular Culture Association is seeking presentations on any language attitude or language-related popular culture topic, such as:
- the language attitudes of X (for example, new baby greeting cards, truck drivers, student writers, first generation immigrants, etc.)
- issues with prescriptivism
- language and advertising or other media;
- professional, corporate, or other industry-related language;
- dialect, code-switching, or historical studies of language and language attitudes;
- animal or extraterrestrial communication;
- language and education, including pedagogical approaches;
- gendered communication or other sociolinguistic topics;
- language and popular literature or television/film
- language and censorship;
- first and second language acquisition;
- any topic that relates to popular linguistics or language attitudes.
When I vet proposals, I look for coherence of idea and a strong connection to either attitudinal studies of language or to popular studies of language. Proposals should be detailed enough to suggest you have a clear grasp of where your research is heading you, but please keep proposals under 500 words, irrespective of any references.
Presentation length is 15 to 20 minutes (about 3200-3700 words), with four presenters per 90 minute session.
Send your presentation title and abstract, along with your name, position/title, very short bio, school/work address, phone number, and email address to me at email@example.com by December 7, 2012. For more information, feel free to contact me by email.
Patricia Donaher, Ph.D.
Area Chair, Language Attitudes and Popular Linguistics
Associate Professor of English and Graduate Faculty
Department of English
Missouri Western State University
4525 Downs Drive
Saint Joseph, MO 64507
For further information about the conference, please visit the PCA/ACA website at http://www.pcaaca.org/